From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:45:08 -0400
On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:29:59 -0400, Mark Labbee <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Amadeus, one can always find evidence to support their position and ignore
>evidence that does not. In Protein Power Life Plan, there is a chapter on..

What is found by anthropologists is suspect to theories and
interpretation
often aiming to support a personal point of view.
"Protein power" -and articles of Mr.Trinkaus- seem to have the
tendency to
picture a big game hunting evolution.
Sometimes a closer look on the findings, forbid earlier
interpretations.
Bones of "game" animals correlated with homind bones can come from
hunters
carrying home all the prey. Or vice versa (predators carrying home
hominids). A close look at "cut marks" can demand a different view.

>the excavations at Boxgrove, England and Atapuerca, Spain which provides
>strong evidence that homo errectus was an extremely skilled hunter as far
>back as 500,000 years ago.

As far as I know , Boxgrove is a homo heidelbergensis site.
Which is a predecessor of neanderthals, which seem to have been
successfull
hunters, despite the low (weapon) technology.

http://www.pages.org/bcs/bcs063.html :
"All the measurements taken from the shin bone are at or beyond the
upper
end of the range determined for modern man (these details are in
Nature,
369, 311-313, 1994). Consequently, Boxgrove Man is reconstructed to be
powerfully built individual over 6 feet tall. He is said to be a
representative of Homo heidelbergensis."
Also the age is under dispute (read on).

I won't say that they died out because of this skills or habits.
But it looks that these humans/hominids had to go into northern
latitudes
- because of the fat-topic. Like to Boxgrove.
Northern latitudes are much less bioproductive, support fewer
individuums
and are sensible to environmental changes.

Amadeus