From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:14:56 -0600
>> Not even, as there is with acne,
>> a claim that it _isn't_ diet related (as far as I can tell).

I guess it really depends on your definition of "excessive". If you sweat
in a cool room (or cave) while everyone else is shivering, then....

I have always sweat profusely, as has my dad, and his dad as well (assumed
it was a genetic trait). All three of us eat/ate from different areas of
the food spectrum, so I have a hard time believing diet is the key. Benefit
is that I am always somewhat cooler than others in extremely hot weather.
On the other hand, my internal thermostat seems to work better all the way
around - I wear shorts in weather while others are donning coats :)

I did do a little checking a few years ago, since I am fitter than average,
and I always had the idea that sweating indicates an under-conditioned
state. It seems that extremely well conditioned athletes (I'm certainly not
in that elite class :) have a tendency to sweat more freely than most.
FWIW.

>> It showed among other things a group of san hunters from the Kalahari =
>> desert hunting a Kudu.

I saw a similar show a few years back. The hunters would start in the
morning and "trot" for most of the day (reminded me of how little kids
can't seem to walk anywhere). The statement I latched onto was that the
hunters could go like this all day for several days. But, they did it
"infrequently" because a good kill could last their tribal group a couple
weeks. In the same show (or maybe one that followed it - can't quite recall
now :) a couple of researchers gutted and skinned a small antelope in less
than an hour with nothing but stone tools they chipped on the site. It was
amazing.