Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:40:50 -0400
Ken asked:
Why would anyone hydrogenate coconut oil, when the point of hydrogenation is
to solidify the oil at room temperature, and coconut oil already is solid at
room termperature?

Coconut oil/butter melts easily (as someone else noted recently; yes, it's
liquid in my cupboard and my bathroom now!!!).  Food processors partially
hydrogenated it to make candies and other confections and processed foods
more heat stable.

A made pemmican with coconut butter once and it was okay eaten right out of
the fridge but if packed and allowed to sit out for a while, it turned to
mush.  Also, I made a low carb paleo confection once, using coconut butter,
and it also melted very easily at room temperature, esp. in warm weather.

Cheers,

Rachel