From:
A Gryphon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:49:36 -0400
>My preference would be to eat mainly range fed animals that eat no grain;
>however, the cost of meat and fowl from animals not fed grain can at times
>be cost prohibitive; also such meat and fowl is harder to find.
>
>Simlarly, some of us eat mostly non-organic vegetables and fruits because
>the cost of buying only organic can be excessively high.

I used to think so too. I'd see the prices in the stores, and my jaw would
just drop, especially when it came to meats.

BUT - right now I'm getting most of my food directly from two local farmers.
One grows produce -- certified organic fruits, veggies and herbs grown from
heirloom seeds that has never been treated with chemicals. And it's really
interesting stuff (no iceberg lettuce), the same farmer supplies some of the
trendiest restaurants in the city. Every week I get a big selection of
whatever is ready at the time, delivered to a central point in my
neighbourhood. You do have to pay up front, but much less than you'd spend
to buy this same stuff in the grocery stores.

Another farmer is supplying me with free-range chickens. These are huge
(only 9 weeks old, but usually 7-8 very meaty pounds). Again, these are
delivered once a week. They are somewhat more expensive than the grocery
store chickens, but I find they have much more meat on them. This fall I'm
getting a side of veal from the same farmer. Right now, that calf is out in
the organic pasture, eating grass, the only food it's ever eaten other than
mother's milk. This will be delivered to my house, cut and wrapped to my
specifications, for far less than the price in the grocery store, in fact
far less than the price of beef.

Granted, you do have to look around a bit for these things. I was just lucky
enough to find a newspaper article about a local organization that helps
people connect with local organic farmers. The idea is not only to support a
healthier way of producing food, but of supporting our local farmers, rather
than big business. These things may not exist in every area, but you might
be surprised at what *is* out there.

Irene