From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:11:23 -0500
Not sure Tony, I'm under the impression that the only truly safe oils are
coconut oil, continually refrigerated flaxseed oil and extra virgin olive
oil.  The indications are, if it's crystal clear, in a glass bottle on a
shelf in your supermarket, with a pleasant light yellow tint, the odds are
pretty good that it's something better off burned in an oil lamp than your
body.  The same goes for margarine and anything containing anything that's
partially or completely hydrogenated.

I've seen a mayonnaise made from olive oil before, but I don't trust it.
 The reason is, if the oil was high quality, they'd have sold it as oil
where they could make alot more money on it.  I'm under the impression that
only the extra virgin (first press) olive oil is ok, so the olive oil in
this mayo is probably no good.  (Anybody who knows I'm wrong, please speak
up!)

Take care,
John Pavao

PS - Where in Hawaii?  I was stationed at Hickam for a few years.  (Of
course, if you're a "local", now you know I'm a "haole"!)

I just lurk here, but Safeway Select mayo is made with canola oil.  Not the
greatest, but better than soy oil, right?

Tony in Hawaii
Male, 36, 6' 315lbs, down from 340