From:
Laura Paris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:05:11 -0800
I use a combination of metabolic typing and Paleo in my Nutrition practice.
This approach was originally started by George Watson, author of the
out-of-print book "Nutrition and Your Mind." His work was followed by Wiley's
book "Biobalance." There are people carrying on versions of this work. The
three main people I've learned from are Robert McFerran, Wolcott, and Dr.
Kristal. Their systems are all similar & based on Watson & Wiley's work, but
McFerran, Wolcott and Kristal have different names for the three general
metabolic types, and different methods of testing. McFerran uses a trial and
error approach and calls the types Hunter-Gatherer, Mixed, and Agriculturist.
You can do each approach Paleo style. Wolcott uses a questionairre and calls
the types Protein, Mixed and Carbo. Dr. Kristal uses Dr. Watson's original lab
tests including a modified glucose tolerance test, and calls the types Group1,
Balanced and Group 2. His method is the one I use in my practice, simply
because the testing results are the most accurate.
This approach has completely turned around my health. Paleo alone would never
have done it. I am an extreme fast oxidizer and need to eat certain high
purine meats & veggies to be well.
All of the Metabolic type approaches can be done Paleo or not. I know Robert
McFerran personally and I believe he has found that most diabetics are the
Agriculturist type. Dr. Kristal, however, puts all diabetics on a special
diabetic protocol. His book just came out by the way.
Feel free to write me privately for more info about metabolic typing, as it's
somewhat off-topic.

Laura Paris