From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:59:43 -0400
Paleo/ancestral nutrition brings together an interesting mix of people with
very different views on religion, from hard-science-oriented atheists to
Bible-believing Christians. No matter how we phrase things, someone is
liable to be offended, so we probably should try to avoid letting minor
offences bother us much, but we can also ask that people not intentionally
write offensive things.

In addition, we can try to find language that is acceptable to as many
parties as possible. It is not reasonable or polite to expect that atheists
write "God" with a capital G, since it is more a title than a name and it
implies a belief in the divine that we do not share (though some atheists
may choose to use it anyway), and ironically thus risks offending Christians
by secularizing and belittling the title. There is another way that atheists
can refer to the historical Christian divinity without using "god" or "God"
that may be acceptable to both Christians and atheists--by using the name
"YHWH" (or "YHVH"). This name is respectful to Christianity without
suggesting a belief in the divine or risking being seen as undercutting the
power of divine titles. It is what I tend to use (except when quoting
others, of course) and so far no one has complained.

However, orthodox Jews may potentially be displeased with the writing of
both "YHWH" and "God." Like I said, no matter what we do, someone is likely
to be offended, so while religious discussion in this forum should be
approached very carefully and should relate in some way to the Paleolithic
way-of-eating or lifestyle (and William's comment did at least do that), we
should probably try to maintain thick skins.

I hope that helps settle the disagreement so we can get back on topic. I
take it that no one has any experiences, observations or sources to add to
the ones I already catalogued on the rarity of dystocia among HGs?