From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:12:11 -0700
> Dear denizens of the Paleo-listic Age<g>:
> 1.  Is there any paleo precedent for the type of
> detoxification diet in
> which the dieter eats typically one food (usually a
> fruit or vegetable) or a
> limited range of foods for a short time?

Hmmm. Perhaps paleo's "pigged out" on certain foods
(fruits and berries coming into season, etc.) for
short periods of time. If this occurred with
regularity (no pun intended), it's possible the human
body may have adapted to this and actually expects or
prefers it.

> 2.  Do you believe such diets do what they're
> supposed to do, namely
> facilitate the flushing of accumulated toxins from
> the body?  Do they have
> any dangers or lastingly harmful side-effects?

I have heard of dangers like toxins being expelled too
rapidly. Many years ago I read a book that cautioned
against fasting because DDT, which is apparently fat
soluble, could be released into the system too quickly
as fat is burned. I have no way of verifying this
claim.