From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 06:19:00 -0400
Newsgroup: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Almond oil improves plasma lipid profile
From: Matti Narkia <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:34:34 GMT

My favorite cooking oils are those rich in monounsurated fatty acids and low
in saturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Olive oil and avocado oil fit
in this category. The problem with extra virgin olive oil is its relatively
low smoke point. Avocado oil has very high smoke point, but I cannot find it
at a reasonable price anywhere here in Finland. Recently I started using
cold pressed almond oil which has similar fatty acid profile as olive oil
and avocado oil, but has a higher smoke point than extra virgin olive oil.
It also seems to have a favorable effect on plasma lipid profile: in a
recent randomized crossover trial

    Hyson DA, Schneeman BO, Davis PA.
    Almonds and almond oil have similar effects on plasma lipids and LDL
    oxidation in healthy men and women.
    J Nutr. 2002 Apr;132(4):703-7.
    PMID: 11925464 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/132/4/703

replacing half of the habitual fat in the diet with almond oil reduced
plasma LDL by 6%, triglycerides by 14%, and raised HDL by 6%.

Information about smoke points:

Excessive Heat Breaks Down
http://www.lef.org/newsarchive/nutrition/2001/09/19/CINP/0000-1406-KEYWORD.Missing.html

Oil Smoke Points