Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:31:13 -0400
Charles wrote:

<<Have you any comments on this? Do you think it is possible to raise one's
"happiness" level to approach that of native peoples? I've noticed some
effect, in that my moods seem more stable, and I feel somewhat more
"buoyant", but I am nowhere near the state of "happiness" I experienced on
Paxil.>>

  Happiness is not an independent emotion.  It is a by-product of doing
something that is a true expression of you.

  But, a person can become undepressed, or eliminate what the system calls
bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc. by what nutrients one consumes.  When
I first moved to Maine (12 years ago) I had come from NY where I'd spent the
past 11 years working in the mainstream chronic menttal health system.  I
moved to Maine to open a residential treatment program for people with
schizophrenia who would not take medications.  I knew at the core of my
being that this could be dealt with nutritionally.

  Finding the right foods were a challenge until I began reading some
research on the functions of fatty acids.  I spent the next six months
researching supplements (EFAs as well as vitamins and minerals).  I chose
some products, eliminated grains, and in three weeks we were seeing amazing
results.  Of the 70 people who have been through the program, sixty-four
have continued to take the supplements and follow a mostly paleo-type diet.
They all remain symptom-free.  The majority hold full time jobs.  Of the
other 6, two cannot be located, and 4 eat SAD and take few to no
supplements.  These 4 all identify themselves as having symptoms of
schizophrenia.

  Siobhan