From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:38:34 +0100
Judging from the data, Palaeolithic Man went in primarily for fat-heavy animals such as those wild aurochs but also leaner meats like horsemeat. One also shouldn't forget that Palaeo hunters, like modern hunter-gatherers, prized the organ-meats, many of which are rich in fat.

As regards rabbit-starvation, this was a real problem for the Inuits. They really needed the extra fat from their prey - indeed a number of early American colonies suffered  because of rabbit-starvation.

Geoff

 "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognised. In the first it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, and in the third it is regarded as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer. http://www.rawpaleo.com/ http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawpaleodiet/> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:55:16 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Cordain Bashing why??? RE: Newbie Question - Organ Meats> To: [log in to unmask]> > Ashley, you appear to be implying that native Americans are similar to> Paleo Ancestors.> > Plus the animals that roamed in the Paleo period were quite different> than those of our native American ancestors. Buffalo were mostly> herded then, and groomed, and may be typical of the grass fed beef we> had today. They didn't have as many predators then, their environment> was much different than the paleo period.> > I do agree that a caveman would eat a fat animal if that's all he had..> But I think the fat animals were the exception and not the norm..> animals back then were leaner than the buffalo of the wild west. The> diets they ate were different. > > I simply think Cordain is taking it from a nutritional component, the> animals of that period most likely contained this much Omega 6s and> 3s... as opposed to the animals today that contain twice/three times as> much of 6's to 3's..... as opposed to what one would have eaten, how it> was eaten etc.> > Plus I seriously doubt you would have suffered "Rabbit Starvation" even> following his diet to the T. But I'm not your Doctor, nor am I a> doctor, I just find that claim a little extreme. > > But that's just me. > > Ron Stanevich, PE> District One, Design Engineer
Play and win great prizes with Live Search and Kung Fu Panda
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719966/direct/01/