From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:22:48 -0600
The best analogy I've heard to date concerning Paleo activity and resulting
fitness is that of thinking about a men's or women's decathalon athlete,
maybe adding a bit of world's strong man/woman due to taks of lifting and
moving things.

The tendency to reduce activity to hunting and scavenging ignores the harsh
realities of life back then. Training once weekly today in hopes of
replicating Paleo era conditioning ain't even close to scratching the
surface. In terms of simple physiology, recuperation from robust training
occurs within forty-eight hours, while with better training it's less than
that. After recovery, the sad facts of catabolism set in with muscle wasting
the outcome. Granted, there are training systems promising the world with
once weekly  training knowing well that telling people what they want to
hear brings in the bucks despite being in violation of givens of exercise
physiology. Several years ago a major name in HIT approached me about a book
proposal advocating one weekly training - I told him he knows better so why
publish false, fraudulent information for money grubbing? Mentzer's system
makes even less sense, but in his case mental illness and drug addiction are
likely as much to blame for that as it was for the overdose that killed him.
Bottom line is four robust workouts is minimum for conditioning, and those
can be on a split routine doing differing muscle groups/movements on a Day
1, Day 2, rest, Day 1, Day 2 basis. I personally prefer 5-6 days weekly,
training my students to that level of fitness competency.