From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:11:22 -0500
I agree, I think the key is young greens (in the sense of picked young).

Old collards have big, tough leaves and aren't that good compared to "baby"
collards.

I don't eat the stems of kale and collards though. I eat the stems from
chard (delish).

The southern way of preparing collards includes vinegar which some insist
moderates the bitterness of old collard.

With broccoli, the best part is the stem with the outer tough husk cut away.
The inner stem is delicious.

I cook greens two ways:

1. fast stir fried at very high temperature
2. braised leisurely for a long time

and they are different each way

--Richard