From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 08:54:34 -0400
On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 22:08:31 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Philip Thrift wrote:
>
>> Lest anyone be confused about the application of NeanderThin to
>> fat loss; I would not put it this way. A *variety* of non-meats
>> is allowed, but in concentrating on fat loss, the *amount* of
>> non-meats may need to be *very restricted* to achieve results.
>
>This may be the case, but it's not what Neanderthin itself
>prescribes for fat loss.  The sample menus include liberal
>amounts of non-meat foods.  Remember, Neanderthin is based on the
>theory that obesity is an auto-immune disorder triggered by
>foreign proteins in the diet.  Removing those proteins is
>supposed to correct the problem.  Based on my own experience and
>that of others on this list, there is convincing evidence that
>this theory is incorrect.  That is, the mere removal of non-paleo
>foods from the diet does not invariably correct the problem of
>obesity.  Many people, ourselves included, have had to resort to
>further restrictions of one sort or another to lose fat.

This is what NeanderThin (the book) prescribes as I read it:
see:
* pg. 70: permitted veggies and fruits are acceptable, but people
  not achieving fat loss are eating too much of these
* pg. 106: if you add too many permitted carbs, fat loss may stall
* pg. 107: non-meats quantities need to be *regulated* (from zero up)
* pg. 88: besides NeanderThin, building muscle is the best way to reduce
  fat*

* and to do this may need more protein (for muscle) and fat (for
workout energy) from meat

etc.

Philip Thrift
http://pthrift.homepage.com/paleofitness.html