Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:22:21 -0400
Alison Whitwood said:
>>Even though I KNOW the theories on sugar and eating paleo, I'm STILL having
little sugar binges every now and again - every 6 weeks or so. They
last up
to a week then I see sense and stop. Normally it's a couple of days
but
sometimes up to a week.

>>I'm having a little binge at the moment. It's when I get stressed at work
and I eat the sweets (chocolate) that is right under my nose all the
time.

Here's an idea:  Why not pack healthy snacks to keep at work when you
need
them? You could pack things that taste so good that you'd rather eat
them,
especially since you know they are so good for you.

Examples might include homemade beef jerky with grapes, a fresh apple
with
some almond butter, date pieces and nuts (reminds me of candy or pecan
pie
filling, if pecans are used); a fruit-nut smoothie made ahead and
packed in
a thermos; grape-nut mix (not the cereal!  This is fresh grapes with
walnuts; it's more voluminous than trail mix so you get to eat more
volume
for your carbs and calories than with  raisins or other dried fruits).

They also sell a very pure, practically paleo bar in our local health
food
store called the BLISS BAR.  I recommend it to all the parents I know
and to
people I coach and people who come on the monthly "Nutrition Walks" I
lead
in a local health food store.  It's not like a protein bar which
contains a
lot of prefab ingredients.  A BLISS BAR is something you could make at
home
if you knew how and were so inclined.  I tried once and came close.

BLISS BARs come in many flavors.  They are the purest packaged treats
I've
seen, made from various nuts or seeds, a small amount of puffed
amaranth
seeds, dried fruits, and a small amount of honey.  They contain about
200-250 calories and range from about 15-25 grams of carbs and about
15
grams of fat apiece, plus some protein from the nuts or seeds.  I've
tried
four or five flavors and turned a lot of people on to them.  You could
keep
some in your desk, back pack, or satchel for a healthy sweet treat.
(The
pumpkin seed bar is my favorite; it's not too sweet.) You could take
pride
in eating it, knowing that it is closer to nature and more nourishing.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Matesz
Chef Rachel,  The Healthy Cooking Coach