From:
Mark Labbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:41:56 -0500
I had an interesting experience today. I went
for a pre-employment physical for a new job and
they took a urine sample to test for illicit
drug use. The nurse had me wait to speak with
the doctor because of the presence of ketones in
my urine. The doctor explained I should be
screened for diabetes because ketones in one's
urine could indicate that. I happily informed
him because of my Crohn's disease I eat a low
carb diet and ketones in one's urine are a
normal consequence of burning fat for fuel.
Since I have no other risk factors for diabetes
(I weigh 130lbs), he seem satisfied with my
answer.

Mark in Narragansett, RI