From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:28:14 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/99 4:51:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

>  The idea that milk or simple rennet cheese (from calf's stomach) might have
>  been a wide-spread component of the paleolithic diet is really
interresting,
>  but the fact that dairy food is responsible for one of the world's most
>  common food allergies raises some doubt in my mind.  Dairy has also been
>  linked to autoimmune disorders (IDDM, for example), and lactose intolerance
>  is common throughout the world, some regions more than others.

Thanks for the response Bernard.  I have a gut feeling (no pun) that drinking
milk from other
animals straight is not good for us.  This I base on nothing scientific,
although I've read tons
of material on how bad it is.  However, I am curious as the effects of
FERMENTED milk.
And I would love to hear from chemists out there as to the actual components
of fermented
milk products because I have no more than a layman's understanding of them.

 But if we
ever did come across any milk in any animals stomachs (and by the way, the
eating of the stomach
contents first is something I've seen carnivourous predators do) it would be
fermented, no?
The difference between say, yogurt, and milk, is like night and day
chemically.  Is there research
 anywhere indicating that this form of milk is bad for us?  Not that I
believe media hype, but there
 are many cultures that swear on the life extention qualities of yogurt, for
example. I guess I'm
just wondering if there really is enough difference to change its damaging
qualities.

Just for the record, I don't drink milk straight very often, even though I am
NOT intolerant.
But my stomach seems to prefer cheeses and yogurts.  Is it an enzyme thing
maybe?

Anna  L. Abrante