From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:20:00 -0700
Well actually, several...

I made my first big batch a few months ago.  This had to be one of the
most tedious things in the kitchen I ever remember doing.  (This
coming
from someone who used to devise complex, spicy vegetarian concoctions
from scratch, and make triple batches to freeze...and who still makes
everything paleo from scratch.)

Rendering ten pounds of suet was no easy task--very messy and took all
day and into the night.  I didn't care much for the aroma either.
Grinding jerky into a powder is impossible with my food processor and
only a little better with my blender.  What I got was shreds, and
could
only do it in very small batches.  The end product was a rather
greasy-tasting, cococut cluster-textured, unchewable sort of thing.
Where did I go wrong?  I've managed to eat it all, but I'd really like
to do it right on this second try.  I make it plain, with no fruit.
(Crohn's and candidiasis keeps me aways from fruits most of the time.)

Any of you pemmican proponents care to step in and encourage me?  I'd
love to be more enthusiastic about making it, since it's such a great
convenience food for the backwoods and long trips.  I welcome your
great
stores of fat/jerky knowledge, and thank you in advance.

Lois