From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:14:30 -0700
Hi, Kim!

Back when I was told I might have gout or arthritis in my wrists, I did a
search for "purines in food."  No vegetables are extremely high in
purines--referring to purine-rich vegetables was a senior moment on my
part-- but these are the ones listed as Moderate Purine, which is the
highest ranking for veggies:

asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas, and French/Globe
artichokes (not Jerusalem artichokes aka sunchokes)

Some meats are higher in purines than others, too.  This site sets the up
the info for all food types in a matrix:

www.dialadietitian.org/resources/handouts/goutdiet.html

It sounds as though you do best with the foods listed as "Avoid" and "Use
in Moderation."  You will note that a lot of the "Low Purine" foods (except
vegetables and fruit) are processed and not on the PaleoDiet.  Thank
goodness I got over the pain in my wrists and can eat a Fast
Oxidizer/Parasympathetic/Type O/Paleo Diet with no problem!

Hey, I get hiccups from white meat, too.  It started with turkey breast,
and then spread to chicken.  I understand that hiccups are a sign that you
have ingested something that doesn't agree with you and your diaphragm is
having spasms in sympathy with your tummy.

Jane
Tucson, AZ  USA