From:
Ada Lueke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:37:40 -0800
> Anyway, Melisa's overall cholesteral was flagged as high since it was
> over
> 200, though I thought her ratios were nice. (Isn't there something
> about a
> ratio including trigs?) Further, she had an overall cholesteral of 339
> couple weeks before giving birth some ten months ago (she is still
> breastfeeding heavily now) so I guess she is definately going in the
> right
> direction. Still she isn't too terribly "proud" of having high
> cholesteral,
> since it was below 150 in the previous years.

Hi Kirt,

I am not a lipid expert like Todd, and don't have a riveting analysis,
but I'm fairly sure that breast milk has a high content of fats:
essential fatty acids; saturated fats ; cholesterol and others. In fact
if I remember correctly the fat percentage of breast milk is around 50%.

My thought is that Melissa's current high cholesterol number might be a
temporary by-product of breast feeding. First as her body was preparing
for the event and now as a necessary part of milk production. It would
be interesting to see what her numbers are after the baby is weaned.

Ada