Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:06:02 -0700
> I was shown how to dry a salmon in the Yukon by a local
man (aboriginal).
> Split, score, and hang in sunlight is all it takes, over
smoke from "willow". He said the reason for the smoke is to
Keep
> the Flies Off. This is true.
> > >>

> >I think it was to keep the meat from rotting and to keep
the
> >flies off.  This could have been going on for a long
time.
> >I am sure it does not make the meat more nutritious.

Celilo Falls on the Columbia River is now underwater,  you
may see some movie footage of  "Indians"  dipping Salmon out
of the raging current with a long handled net.   Some years
ago when I lived in Oregon I heard from friends who visited
the place about all the flies around the racks of Salmon
Drying in the Sun.

Lorenzo