From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:19:46 -0500
I also believe in progesterone and hGH replacement therpay for
>menopausal women.  The hGH isn't cheap, but the T usually is reasonable,
>and
>downright cheap if your insurance will cover it.  If your doctor is against
>hormone replacement therapy, then get a new doctor!

Justin:
I might be missing some key information here, but I think that it is foolish
to advocate HRT for *all* menopausal women in general. I also think that it
is totally ridiculous that my Mother-I-L's HRT-advocating G.P. will NOT
authorize a bone density scan (despite the GYN's repeated requests) unless
my MIL agrees to take HRT. In my experience, die-hard HRT pushing
practitioners should be avoided. They are obviosly ill-informed.

Women may wish to consider some of these potential dangers of HRT:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~swidemark/hrtlie2.htm and find a doctor who will
DISCUSS these concerns- not simply dismiss them and assure you that there is
no reason for concern.

Visit http://drnorthrup.com/ (which has grown in the past year!) for women's
health issues that includes a more paleo-friendly perspective but also does
not completely abandon the use of modern medicine when appropriate. I highly
recommend her book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom in which she discusses our
bodies' natural cycles, how our "mindset" can affect this, and various
medical and non-medical possibilities for treatment of various conditions. I
see that she has recently released a book called "The Wisdom of Menopause",
which I have not read but I dare suggest that given Northrup's unique
approach, this book could be a goldmine of vital information for menopausal
women. I find Northrup's books are a good overview and can provide insight
that is hard to come by in the doc's office.

Stacie