From:
Sean McBride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 19:21:52 +1000
 > Not sure of the date, but coprologist (?) found pea hulls in petrified
human
 > turds, indicating that paleo man ate peas.

I know there is a lot of anti-legume discussion with the paleodiet (and I
don't eat them myself) but there are a number of legumes eaten by
Aborigines.  One, the beach bean (Canavalia rosea) is poisonous raw (causes
vomiting) but if you heat it it is quite pleasant.  There are only a couple
of recorded uses of it by Aborigines.  Aborigines also eat the Maloga bean
(Vigna lanceolata) in its raw state.  I am not a botanist so I don't know if
these plants actually are in the legume family.  They certainly look like
beans in pods.

However just because they have eaten them in recent times doesn't mean they
were eaten in Paleo times.

Sean

Sean McBride
University of Queensland