From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:14:08 -0400
I've mentioned recently that I've been experimenting with two eating
patterns to observe the effect on my blood glucose (BG).  Here's what
I've found so far.

I tried the sort of "warrior" variation of paleo that Richard Geller has
been following; i.e., eating nothing until dinner, then having a fairly
large meal.  Interestingly, my fasting BG in the morning would be fairly
high, about 100 (5.6, using the international scale), and although it
tended to drop a bit during the day, it generally wouldn't go below
90-95 (5.0-5.3).  I did this for about 10 days, and the results were
pretty constant.

So I tried something else.  During the day I'd eat breakfast and lunch,
but these meals would be as high in fat as I could manage, and low in
protein and nearly zero carbs.  For example, I'd have just macadamia
nuts at these meals, or landjaegers ("hunter's sausage").  For dinner
I'd have a normal meal, even with a starch such as a sweet potato.  This
didn't affect my morning reading, but the rest of the readings dropped.
Fasting BG during the afternoon and evening (2 hours after dinner) went
to 87 (4.8) and 84 (4.7) respectively, and have stayed pretty
consistent.  These are the lowest readings I've ever had.  And it's
still the case, as I mentioned before, that if I have a glass of wine in
the evening, my morning BG is lower.

I'm not sure what the significance of any of this is, but I thought I'd
share it.

Todd Moody