From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:32:28 +0100
On Aug 03, 2008, at 7:15 am, Ron Hoggan wrote:

> Okay..... I'm convinced that the problem was insufficient fat, but
> why would
> you go to that extreme? Cordain recommends 25% fat. It appears that
> you were
> eating very, very little fat.

Hi Ron

I wasn't deliberately avoiding fat.  In fact I tried to (and did) eat
a lot of nuts.  I could eat myself almost to the point of being sick
on them, but they never satisfied my fat hunger.

> I do remember something about that in some of his writing, but most
> of what
> I've seen of his says 25% fats.
> If I remember correctly, he is focused on omega 3 & 6 and
> unsaturated fats.
> I've always considered that a miscue. I find that I am my healthiest
> when I
> eat all kinds of fats.

Well the problem is (if I remember, I haven't read The Paleo Diet for
a long time) he recommends topping up your fat intake with flax and
canola oil.  Now I knew back then that was wrong, which meant I was
eliminating one source of fat.  I've never found anything, not a
single thing, as satisfying as animal fat cooked on the meat.  And it
makes a huge difference to me if it's still a piece of fat on the meat
- dripping used to cook food doesn't have the same effect.  There's
something deep down in my head that goes THANK YOU as soon as I bite
through a piece of pork or beef with a nice slab of tender cooked fat
on it.

> Like you, I embrace fats. Maybe they aren't the best choice for
> everyone,
> but they do seem to be better for me. I usually carry about 5 pounds
> more
> than I need, and it is on my torso. I can lose the belly in a week
> just by
> reducing my carb intake.
>
> Unfortunately, I have a strong attraction to sweets. I miss them
> terribly.
> After a meal I will get up and wander around the kitchen trying to see
> something that will quell my sweet tooth. When I do break down and eat
> something sweet, I unleash a daemon that keeps after me to keep on
> feeding
> it. I suspect that is the root of much of the obesity out there. I can
> certainly sympathize.

I'm very similar.  I suspect in my case it might be my burnt adrenals
struggling to keep my blood sugar up, but I can't say that for sure.
I really love dried fruit, and have binged myself sick on it in the
past.  These days I think my body has healed a bit, and also I now
have an anti-Cordain habit of eating animal fat almost excessively,
and I don't find it an issue.  I can eat most fresh fruit without many
problems, I think if I picked up a bag of raisins I could still get
through the lot...

Fortunately for me though, all it does is make me feel groggy for a
few days, and gives me headache when I drop back into ketosis after a
carb binge.

> Although fats seem to provide me with all the energy I need, and I
> savor the
> flavor of fats, I sure wish it was true that carbs are our
> friends. :-)

Give it half a million years and we might evolve!  For now I'm happy
with an extra slice of bacon and some fried veg :)

Ashley