From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:08:25 -0700
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:12:52 -0600, Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Let's face it, you lose weight by consuming fewer calories than those used.

I'm sorry, but that's the standard way of looking at weight loss that is wrong.
(In fact, if it was correct, hardly anyone would be obese.)   You lose weight
by causing your body fat to be converted to fatty acids.   Some people consume
fewer calories and don't lose weight, other people consume more calories and do
lose weight.   We are not bunsen burners, we are complicated chemical
processes.

>A good amount of fat and no more protein than you need keeps hunger satiated without the risk of
>excess protein being converted to glucose.

Except that from everything I've read - including Drs. Eades - 56 grams of
protein for someone 5'8" is insufficient to provide enough glucose on a
low-carb diet.   What is likely to happen is that the diet will work to lose
weight --- meaning losing lean body mass as well as fat.

I believe that Todd Moody recently posted a rough calculation of the amount of
glucose required while in ketosis, and it seemed higher than even I expected.
Just the brain requires quite a bit.

--
Cheers,

Ken