From:
Thomas Seay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:19:42 -0700
> This smack of a new-age sect thought-processes. The
> dissenters on list
> probably "have some issues to  work out".
> Ridiculous!
> Frankly "Siobhan", I find myself  deleting your
> posts more often than not
> for pearls of wisdom like this.
>
> nancy.

Nancy, this is a good point.  I offered up my position
in good will and was not aiming it at one person.  It
was a general observation that I have noticed among
some health enthusiasts.

Let me remind everyone that I basically eat a
paleolithic diet myself...so I am not even touting
another "ism" from this point of view.

Of course, one doesnt have to agree with me.  However,
this very "new age" tendency to rebuke something
someone says by saying they have "issues" is an old
trick used by dogmatists of all colors.  Freud rebuked
dissenters from his theory (such as Adler and Jung) by
saying that they suffered from some sort of oedipal
conflicts...if you disagreed with Stalin, you were
labelled and dismissed as petit-bourgeois...
In other words, if one says something that does not
agree with my worldview, well, there must be something
fundamentally wrong with that person.  My point is if
Siobhan disagrees with me, she should  make a coherent
substantive argument but not just dismiss what I have
said by saying that I have "issues".  That is a
non-argument.

Thomas