From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:12:27 +0900
On Sunday, July 17, 2005, at 07:49  PM, Erik Fridén wrote:

> Actually I think any refined carbs or "white" starches can cause them!
> If I eat too many carbs over a period of days, especially for the
> day's last meal, sure enough one day I will wake up tired and an
> attack will develop in a few hours time.

Anything that causes constipation contributes to migraine, seems to me.
Bread, cheese, even bananas. Also heavy carbs for several days makes my
gut act bad, gas, maybe constipation. I look like I swallowed a basket
ball or am 8 months pregnant! My usual diet is fairly low carb except
for fruit. Even too much fruit can do it, but not usually so bad.

> However, the best way for me to trigger a migraine attack is to drink
> 1-2 glasses of wine in the evening. The next day when I wake up, I'm
> not hung-over but feel moderately sluggish. Over the next 3-4 hours a
> migraine attack develops. Enyone else have this experience, that going
> paleo has increased your sensitivity to alcohol?

Not sure. I stopped most drinking when I got married, which was several
years before starting paleo. My tolerance is way down, but that may
just be from lack of use. I still drink once in a while but have not
noticed any connection to migraines.  I just turn red and get drunk
faster. Some drinks always caused headaches, others never did, even
when I was drinking every day. Sake and shochu were bad, and whiskey,
but nothing else gave me headaches even when over consumed.

By the way, a great cure for migraines is to have your feet stepped on.
Lie flat on your belly and have someone friendly deep massage your
insteps with their heels. Hurts but feels good! Then the migraine goes
away. Like magic.