Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:42:05 -0400
After many years of illness and trying to overcome my Celiac Disease as well
as recent diagnoses of Lymphocitic Colitis & Chronic Apthuous Ulcers(so
serious, I was hospitalized!), as well as a myriad of other health issues (I
even had swine flu in June!), I am back on PALEO -  very nearly 100%  - and
feeling better than I have felt in a very long time.  I was probably 60%
paleo before, but it wasn't enough.  On top of my diagnoses of all these
auto-immmune diseases, my new doc just found that I had Low omega 3, Low
iodine, High lipid peroxide, Low magnesium, Vitamin d is adequate but not
optimal (it has gone from 20 last year to 40 now),  Iron is low, DHEA is
low, Strong Food allergies to yeast, wheat, kidney beans, tomatoes and Low
B-12 level.  I did an IV of B vitamins, vitamin C and Magnesium on Monday at
his office and felt much better by Tuesday.  He prescribed lots of
supplements, as well as B-12 shots and low-dose naltrexone for the
auto-immune disease (which I am not sure I can tolerate; I tried it one
night and it knocked me out). He also asked me to follow strict paleo diet
and also cut all sugars for a while to calm down the yeast allergy issue.  I
am bouncing with energy and feel much better already.  I can't wait to see
how much better I can feel.  It's been a long road of feeling awful.

So, the cravings for sugar have pretty much subsided after 10 strong days of
PALEO.  I have lost 7 pounds. (I gained 25-30 on the high-dose prednisone
and entocort I have been taking.)  I am looking forward to getting back to
optimal health with my supplements and the Diet.  I wish I could do it with
diet alone, but my body isn't absorbing because of the intestinal disease,
but I am hoping that as it heals, the food will be enough.

I get all of my veggies and some fruits from a local organic farm
cooperative (CSA), where I have been a member for a couple years.  I find
myself having to avoid lots of the non-paleo foods now, as beautiful as they
seem!

I saw in some of the threads that some of you 'cheat' on the diet when
you're out of the house or at parties, but because of my gluten and wheat
allergies, I have found that any cheating yields very bad results.  I cook
ALL meals in my own kitchen. So, I would like to be able to cook something
with a nut flour. Do any of you cook with nut flours, like almond flour?  I
am interesting in trying to bake a few things again, but have only used
almond flour a couple times in the past.

Thoughts?