From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:59:59 -0700

Ardeith writes:
>...every kid I've ever known has pulled grass stems and nibbled the >tender
>bit near the root.....and also pulled off the seedheads
>and nibbled on them.....Of course this is a long way from planting
>wheat (a grass)....reaping it, and making bread.....etc.

Ardeith,

Wheat is the seeds of a certain grass, not grass.  I don't doubt kids might
nibble on roots, but the Time reviewer says that Somer proposes whole grains
to replace the wild grasses that were the "staples" of many anchient diets.
Grass has never been the staple of any human diet!  Does Somer or Time's
Gorman think iceberg lettuce or wheat is grass?  Maybe they do.  That's
about the only thing that would explain humans chomping on 'grass'.  "That
depends on what your definition of grass is" as Bill Clinton might say.

I spoke with Sally Fallon of the Weston A. Price Foundation yesterday on
this.  She said (and I trust her) that humans cannot eat grass; the
chlorophyl (sp?) makes us sick.  Herbivores can (and must) eat grass, but
herbivores we ain't.

By the way Ardieth, this is not aimed at you personally.  Just thought you'd
find it interesting that the author considered grasses a staple of the early
human diet.  Where the @%$# did she find that tidbit?  It's just not true.

My boyfriend and I giggled over this last night.  He said it brought to mind
an image of a hairy man in a loin cloth with a club on all fours chomping
grass he'd just beaten with the club.  Highly illogical, no?

Dori Zook
Denver, CO