From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 22:41:03 -0700
> Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:08 PM Gale wrote, in part:
>
> When I wrote even grain, I did really mean naturally occurring
> grasses with seeds.  Again, it seems reasonable to me that if
> a human saw an animal eat something, that the human would try
> to eat it too.  And if it didn't immediately repulse or later
> sicken the human, it would be added to the "list" so to say.
> gale

Hi Gale,
Have you ever eaten grass seed? Even a little bit of it? I tried it when I
was a kid. (Contrary to my mom's convictions, I wasn't very bright.) I still
remember that it tasted awful! It was dry, and I had a tough time getting it
chewed and mixed with enough saliva that I could choke it down. It hurt the
inside of my mouth. Grains are much easier to eat.

Today, more than 50 years later, I could watch a cow eat grass seed all day
long and never be moved to try it again. :-) Even if others found the taste
and texture of grass seed tolerable, I think they would be unlikely to eat
it again if it made them as sick as it made me. Even chewing grains made me
throw up. To put this in perspective, I remember eating worms and bugs just
to gross out other kids, and none of those made me sick.

Maybe my reactions to grass and grains are because I have celiac disease.
The other kids who tried chewing grains with me did not throw up, but they
certainly didn't like the taste. It takes a lot of technology to make
significant quantities of grains edible. Without milling and cooking, or
fermenting, or some other form of processing, I don't think that unprocessed
grains or grass seed would be eaten except in times of dire food shortage.

Somehow, grains got added to the "list," but I don't think it came from
watching animals graze, then sampling grass seed without processing.

Best Wishes,

Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author Dangerous Grains ISBN: 978158333-129-3 www.dangerousgrains.com
author: Get the Iron Edge: a complete guide for meeting your iron needs
ISBN: 978-0-9736284-4-9 www.ironedge.info
author Smarten Up! ISBN: 978-0-9736284-3-2 www.smartenup.info
editor: Scott-Free Newsletter www.celiac.com

"Objectivity is the prerogative of objects."