From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:39:29 -0500
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:59, Andrea Hughett wrote:

>--- Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>>hogget.
>
>The other  beasties I recognize, but what in the world
>is hogget?
>
>And just out of curiosity, what does kangaroo taste like?
>
>Andrea

Hogget is older lamb. Look at it this way: beef is to veal as mutton is to lamb. Most lamb is
slaughtered within six months. A lamb in its second spring or summer becomes a hogget and
from its third onwards the meat is known as mutton. Hogget is also known as "two-tooth" as
sheep grow a new pair of teeth at about 16 months. Mutton is unfortunately rare these days (there
is more money in quick-turnover lamb), but the mature meat is preferable.

I wish I could have written that I eat mutton, but I have to make do with hogget.

I'm afraid I can't describe the taste of kangaroo. Some people say it's very 'gamey', but I don't
know what that means. It is certainly distinctive and is more different from beef than are lamb or
venison. Probably as different from beef as is chicken (but it's nothing like chicken). Different
varieties of kangaroo have different flavours, with the red kangaroo being milder than the grey.
Grey kangaroos nibble grass at night in my garden and drink from the water container I have for
them. Most of the kangaroo in butchers is red kangaroo.

Keith