From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:47:10 +0000
On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:04 am, Kathryn Rosenthal wrote:

> Ashley, I have seen ducks so drunk that they staggered when trying
> to walk. Of course, I only saw this during a very short period of
> time in the fall when the grapes in the vineyard had fermented.
> Interestingly, there was a great deal of heightened sexual activity
> in the duck community - and I don't think it had any connection with
> egg laying and procreation.  It just seemed to be purely enjoyable
> recreational sex.  In fact, truth be told, I was a little put out by
> some of the male ducks, who would be actively copulating with a
> female while at the same time looking up in the sky for their next
> "date."    ;)

Haha, I will bear this in mind the next time I see something in the
Daily Mail about "the decline of modern standards" :)

> If there is a paleo lesson to be learned from this, it is probably
> that paleo peoples would have ingested "wine" only during a short
> period in the fall of the year.  Don't you think?

I guess it's like Wayne says, it depends how long we spent in tropical
areas where fermented fruit was available for more of the year.

Anyone know anything about alcoholism in tropical monkeys?

Ashley