From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:34:24 -0500
You may recall the arrythmia I mentioned last week.  Well, I got back from
the cardiologist.  He had me do an echo cardiogram which went very well. I
put out "13 mets" for that test, whatever that means!  (I think it means I
worked hard) and we had some difficulty getting my heart rate high enough
(had to keep increasing the incline).

He found "nothing diagnostic" from the test.  That was good news.  But
there was one thing: I have a slightly larger than normal heart
(cardiomyopathy).  He really didn't want to call it that -- I guess
because it would follow me around on my records forever -- but prescribed
the following two drugs in low doses: Topril and Lysinopril.  And he wants
me to come back for a follow up echo cardiogram in three months to see if
the drugs don't help decrease the heart size.

Two questions:

1) I don't want to take the drugs.  Anybody disagree?

2) Could the slight cardiomyopathy be a result of my twice a week high
intensity weight training?  So rather than being indicative of a problem,
could it actually be a GOOD thing?

He did mention that it might be slightly overized since I used to be a
competitive runner, but that was 18 years ago now.

Thoughts?