From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:04:39 -0500
Philip Thrift wrote:
> Cooked meat is more digestable than raw, allowing us to assimilate
> greater quantities of protein. BTW cooked meat is better for dogs
> (our companions in our evolution) as it is for humans.
>
>     http://www.mybluedog.com/rawmeat.html

I am sure that 99% of Medical Doctors would be horrified to hear about the
people on this and other lists who eat raw meat, simply horrified. Evidence
suggests that many folks do great on raw meat, so go figure. My dog eats a
BARF diet and seems to be fine, although this alarmist URL says that any
time soon he'll be sick or dead. I'm sure a lot of MDs think that of people
like some on this list who eat raw meat. I don't agree.

I think a lot has to do with our digestion which seems to be an individual
thing as so much of diet is. Some people can eat anything, perhaps because
they have stronger digestive juices, better guts, who knows?

I am very jealous of those people because I am not one of them -- I cannot
tolerate grains, chocolate, dairy (except very small quantities of cheese on
rare occasions), beans, etc. I don't think I'll be eating raw meat as a
steady diet anytime soon, but many people do and do fine, so making a
blanket statement about digestibility doesn't make sense, at least to me.

--Richard