From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:01:25 -0500
Janet Hacker wrote:

> Welcome to the list... it sounds like you have overcome a lot.  You must
> have a great inner core of strength to endure so much!

No...not really.  You just do what you gotta do, y'know?
Thanks tho.  All good words gratefully accepted <G>

> I love hearing other people's stories and yours is truly inspiring.
>
> I'm curious - does the sweetness of fruit trigger or curb any cravings you
> have?  Do you only have fruit for breakfast?

Fruit, eggs, meat, veggies - whatever I'm in the mood for.
Learn to listen to your body because it knows more about you
and your needs than anyone else.  No, fruit doesn't trigger
sugar craves and will actually fill an imagined need
sometimes.  Just last evening I treated myself to a
strawberry icy drink by running whole berries and crushed
ice thru the blender.  I found it wonderfully refreshing but
my hubby (non-paleo) said he'd like it better if it was
sweeter hehehe.  Be wary of using canned (much added sugar)
and stay away from juices from concentrate.  As Ray says,
these are so processed they end up little more that fruit
flavored sugar water.

> I'm very interested in your weight loss progress!  Please keep us updated!
I continue to lose about 2 pounds a week but daily expect
this to slow - am VERY familiar with plateau losing!
Another tip - don't weigh daily; weekly is sufficient.  Your
weight will vary a bit day to day and checking it often is a
good way to get depressed!  I am now only 18 pounds heavier
than my hubby.  When we married almost 29 years ago, he
weighed 130 and I had 200+ pounds on him.  That was back in
the days of the very first heart transplant surgeries.  We
were going to offer ourselves for the first "fat
transplant."  As if is, we have spent our married life
putting weight on him and taking it off me <G>.  He in 6'
tall and at 170, which is good.  He got up to 190 and was
too heavy.  He is experiencing a number of health problems
that are spookily like mine - asthma, allergies, joint
pains.....I keep reminding him how much better I feel off
grains etc.  He grew up in farm country eating bread and
potatoes and corn and just can't quite bring himself to give
them up.  I've only been feeling good since this year so am
hoping that eventually he will be either inspired or get
jealous enough to give himself a chance at this other way of
living <G>.

Hang in there and don't give up.  The longer I eat paleo,
the more I appreciate it.  Cheating becomes less and less
attractive as you realize that stolen piece of candy or sly
cup of coffee has given you the shakes and a real head rush
and all you want to do is go crawl in a hole until it wears
off!

We have a big tribal gathering planned for the week after
the 4th of July.  We will camp out together for about a
week.  Most of these folks haven't seen me since last Sept
and I am really looking forward to their reactions
<giggle>.  "Elisi" is a Cherokee title meaning "Grandmother"
and I am the Headwoman of our Band.  It will be very
interesting to see what the others think of this, my newest
wisdom for living - hope I make a lot of converts!  I have
been listening closely to people complaining and am saddened
to realize that so much physical and mental discomfort could
be moderated by a few simple dietary habit changes.  Well,
we shall see.....

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee