From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:52:12 -0400
Hans Kylber wrote....
>>If it comes to nowadays practical translation into action of paleolithic
>>nutrition, I think we should concentrate much more on getting
>>an adequate supply of largely unmodified and fresh plants:
>>Tubers, nuts, fruit and yes, also grains.
>>With the focus on vitamin supply!
>
>If You havent done it already, go to Paleodiet Symposium archives:
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9706&L=paleodiet&P=R1754
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9804&L=paleodiet&P=R183
>You will find a good reason not to eat grains,
>diary and beans, all speculation on paleolitic diets aside!

Note my priority list :-)
Thanks for your references, i already read them. I understand the complicated
explanations as primaryly important for already autoimune disordered.
I also wonder how much of this applies, if the proteins are cooked
(proteins change..) or if they are fermented ("sour dough").
Really a wheat-only diet seems not very natural...
It's also a matter of availability in a mass-populated world.
I'd for example prefer an ancient organic spelt meal over
a gene manipulated  tomatoe with xyz-bizides...
I also found that large meat consumptions almost enforce _white_ grain
/sugar/alcohol consumption. Because of the caloric deficit they have.
You have to get them from somewhere. From saturated fats of farmed animals,
from saturated dairy fats, from sugars, from alcohol.... where from else...

John Miller wrote:
>Another argument I've read is that grains contain high levels of phytates
>which block mineral absorbtion.  I also understand that both of these (phytate
>content, carbohydrate density) are problems with beans as well.  Can anyone
>verify?  Elaborate?
That's rhight. These phytates  hinder  mineral absorption. It should be
a problem if more than 50% of the food comes from raw-cooked grain.
Soaking the grains (making little plants) or fermenting them thoroughly
(sour dough) cures the problem. But most "industry" bread doesnt have it
(today yeast is what you get in 99 percent).

Carbohydrate density works by driving out other more valuable meals for the
caloric input and applies only for processed grains, not for whole grains,
in my understanding.

regards

Amadeus