From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:55:03 +0100
> > Happy Winter Solstice time everyone.
> >
> And to you and everyone on this list.
> Thanks also for reminding me that it's the beginning of Yuletide!
>
> (Hope I got that one right. ;))
>
> William

God Jul to everyone!
I live at the same latitude (58?) as Erik but inland. We get more snow. 6
hours of day light - that's really bad. But on the other hand it's only dark
between 23 -02 (or something) at this level in June, midsummer. All four
solstice, autumnal and spring equinox, jule and midsummer used to be
enormous pagan feasting occasions but were all taken out of practise by the
Christians that invaded Sweden just a little more than a thousand years
ago - or rather, they changed the purpose of the feasts. Almost all
countries except Sweden calls Midsummer S:t Johns something. We have managed
to keep it all heathen - not so the other three sun occasions. Lot's of
Swedes don't know that Jul (Yule, Christmas) was celebrated long before the
church decided that it was the birthday of Jesus Christ - who was probably
born in october in the year 4 BC, if born at all!

I have just taken out a 12 pound ham from the oven. It is the main dish on
our Yule table. The pig holds an important place in the habits of the
Vikings. Other important things are heerings in special
sugary-salty-vinegar-solution. At least the heering is paleo! Different
makings of cabbage is also important. The Viking word for garden was in fact
cabbage yard. Cheese too, I think we are the biggest hard cheese eaters in
the world. Meat balls and little sausages and lots more are a must. Many
dishes depend on what part of Sweden you come from. To this we drink snaps
(hard liquor), beer and a soft drink with special Jul taste to it. Fruit,
nuts and sweets and, believe it or not a white porridge of rice, milk,
butter and cinnamon cooked for quite some time.

Here is one for you, William. The Swedish word for wheel, is hjul and the
word for Christmas, is jul. The pronounciation is exactly the same and a lot
like yule.

God Jul och Gott Nytt År!
Eva