From:
"Dr. James Alpigini" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:13:11 -0500
Todd  wrote:

>On the face of it, it sounds like you have lost muscle.  But if
>your strength has not declined this is unlikely.  I'd recommend
>an experiment: Go back to using the cheese, butter and cream and
>see if you return to your former metabolic rate.
>
>Here's another long-shot guess.  Dairy fats are a source of
>conjugated linoleic acid.  Olive oil and fish oil are not.  CLA
>itself tends to cause body fat loss, and milk fat is the main
>source.  Beef fat would also be a source, but not, according to
>what I have read, grain-fed beef.  Just a guess.

Regarding my odd fat gains - I'd like to thank all of the folks who were
kind enough to make suggestions, both publicly and privately.  I just
checked my database, and here is the average of my Paleo lowcarb daily food:

calories:       2062
protein:        202 gm
carb:           31 gm
total fat:      124 gm
sat fat:        32 gm
mono fat        47 gm
poly fat        19 gm

Calcium, potassium, sodium, etc. ad naueseum are all fine.  So, I am 6' 3"
and now weigh 220 lbs at 29% bodyfat.  With the regular lifting, I have
actually gained some strength in the past 5 weeks, but am gaining bodyfat
steadily.  I have been in ketosis for this time.

On a normal lowcarb regimen, these food levels get me to 15% bodyfat
without too much trouble.  The 10% range is still the holy grail - but that
is another story.  Once the bodyfat is down, I typically end up travelling,
missing workouts, crazy eating, etc.  Which is why I hoped that a paleo
diet would end the yo-yo.   I conclude that Todd is correct and that
something is lacking *for my case* in the Paleo diet.  I will be adding
dairy back to my diet as an experiment and see what happens.  I could just
try CLA supplements but I think cheese is closer to being paleo than a lab
grown pill.

Please note that I am not, repeat not, criticising Ray Audette,
Neanderthin,  or the paleofood approach in general.  ( Well, perhaps the
people who had the threads going on eating worms and bugs <grin>) Using
real ingrediants for ingrediants is a heck of a good idea and the SAD is
about as natural as gore-tex.  Rather, I think that any deficiencies in
paleofood are based from the domestication of our animal food and perhaps
my Kallmans syndrome and/or cholesterol medication.

I will let you know of my progress.

James at Penn State