From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:26:21 -0500
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 12:06:30 +0900, Tom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't dispute any of this, I just don't know enough to.
>BUT, my cholesterol went up 25% under a very low carb diet.
>It is not the whole story.

Could be one of the factors Richard's article
( http://www.redflagsweekly.com/features/2002_oct31.html )
mentiones: elevated cortisol

Low carb elevates cortisol to stimulate gluconeogenesis.

>Rob Bartlett wrote:
>>
>> > What is the factor that elevates cholesterol then, if it's not dietary
>> > cholesterol?
>>
>> Elevated blood sugar levels, usually triggered by excess intake of
>>starches
>> and sweets.  Insulin resistance develops

I think the real problem is not the elevated blood sugar, but the elevated
insulin.
Which is closely related to certain sweets and starches which elevate
blood sugar very chickly.
However if you look closer at insulin elevation, you find that some of the
"starchy" and "dreaded" grain food items don't elevate insulin and even
don't elevate glucose too much.
Look at http://venus.nildram.co.uk/veganmc/isgs.gif
(text at http://venus.nildram.co.uk/veganmc/insulin.htm ) or the
GI-Listings like http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
Whole rye or spelt or even white spaghetti don't elevate insulin (and even
not glucose) very much.

I always thought - and still do so- that replacing many carb-calories by
fat would help very much against diabetes/IR.
But our diabetes radio broadcast the Doctors didn't recommend high fat
diets and recommended complex carbohydrates.
It could be that they plan to avoid
- unfortunate omega-6 amounts
- benefits by increased fiber amount
- unfortunate fat compositions (for cell walls).

Amadeus