From:
Mermaid Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:48:58 -0700
Say, this reminds me to ask, we have lots of Anglos (one country or
another) and Northern Europeans on this list. Why so few from anywhere
else? Any Italians? Spanish?

I am of Spanish descent and lived in Spain a couple of times for less than a year each.  I love the lifestyle there and realize years later that aside from bread, they eat almost paleo.  Unlike most people believe, rice is not eaten very much there...mostly when in a special event, will they make a paella or chicken and rice.  My mom said that all her life the way of eating was....breakfast, not heavy. (she remembers every morning before school she had bread dunked in warm red wine).   Lunch was the heavy mail and usually consisted of hevy meats and vegetables.  Dinner was light usually consisting of fish or eggs or occasionally lentils, along with their vegetables.  Fruit was always eaten, as was cheese, when one could afford it.  Nuts are plentiful.  I remember driving along and finding almond trees...my they were good.

One of my favorite things was to go with my aunts to the market every morning for the food for the day.  They always ate fresh food, freezers had almost nothing in it.  The choices were plentiful...especially seafoods.

Lillian