From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 18:13:53 -0700
Hi Grant,
I have celiac disease. Although I was diagnosed as an adult, I had it as a
kid too. When I was a kid, I could not force myself to eat much meat when
eating foods that had gluten in them. I did grow out of it, but I think
that should have been a clue to test for celiac disease. I suspect that I
couldn't produce much HCL for one of the early stages of digesting meat,
and I probably wasnt making much CCK which is the hormonal messenger that
tells the gall bladder to contract when bile is needed for emulsification
with, and absorption of fats. Hence, meat always made me feel a little sick.

Within a few days of going on the gluten-free diet, I was amazed at how
well I felt after a meal with rather a lot of meat in it.

I do hope your friends will either get their son tested prior to trying a
gluten-free diet. If he has celiac disease, there are several compelling
reasons that he needs to be gluten-free for life. I'm afraid that just
trying the diet to get him started on meat will overlook an important
message being sent by the boy's behavior and preferences.

best wishes,
Ron Hoggan