From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:41:01 -0500
Eryyn Pollack wrote:

> My wife jumped on the paleo bandwagon...and has had a hard time of it for
the last two/three weeks. She has some nausea most of the time, which gets
worse when she eats. Meat (any kind) seems to make it worse. After eating
meat (20 minutes or so) she threw up three days in a row. She has been able
to keep some chicken down the last couple of days, and fruits and veggies
don't seem to specifically give her trouble. She has also completely lost
her appetite.

> She's not eating anything she didn't eat before, just cut out
sugars/grains/beans/etc. We don't think she has a virus, but we're about
stumped. Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas?

I agree that a medical person would be a good idea here, and that gradualism
might be helpful. One thing that may be of help is that many people going on
paleo end up on a very low carb diet and this is highly diuretic. That means
the body gets rid of potasium and sodium and this can cause problems
including nausea, lassitude, etc. The solution is to get out of ketosis by
eating "good" carbs -- I eat sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, etc. Paleo does
not mean necessarily low carb, and this could be what is "eating" your wife.

--Richard