From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:10:11 EST
Trish:

I've been on this stuff (Paxil), and while it helped me out of a suicidal
depressive phase, it's clearly not for long term use, due to the general
artificial disruption of the system, and the serious side effects
(particularly increased sexual desire, coupled with inability to
ejaculate..ha!)

No - nature's way is best, as usual. It is most unlikely that paleo hunter
gatherers suffered from depression. In my own experience, people living a
simple "primitive" life, such as tribesman in Africa, smile much more readily
than white people. They generally have what we would describe as a childlike
demeanor. This is the effect that Paxil creates. It makes one childlike, and
ready to laugh and joke about anything. This must be caused by relatively
more serotonin in the brain, which presumably is a characteristic of children.

A natural way of life creates the same thing. Physical activity is the key,
as it is to most things. I believe Duke University did a study on this, and
found that the most effective and lasting antidote to depression is exercise.
In my experience, sun exposure is also crucial. White people have white skins
so they may absorb more sunlight in the generally overcast conditions of
northwestern Europe. Native peoples generally wear little or no clothing,
particularly in warm climates, and of course paleo people would only have had
animal skins. Western clothing is very restrictive and does not allow
adequate air circulation, and denies the body sufficient sun exposure.
Wearing clothing also weakens the body's resistance to cold. Native peoples
can sleep naked outdoors in freezing conditions.

I am a nudist, and I hike nude, as the native people did in this area
(southern California). Also barefoot, as much as possible, again like the
natives. This is all extremely therapeutic, and is the best antidote to
depression, and in fact to "civilization" in general.
Exercise and nudity outdoors will cure all depression.

I've tried St John's Wort, and found little or no effect, but I am suspicious
of anything that comes in pill form. Native peoples would have known of the
properties of this herb, and probably many others in different parts of the
world. They would have gathered it at the right time of the year, and the
right phase of the moon (it makes a difference!), and would have known how to
process it. Plus they would have known the right spells to say, and this
makes a difference to the sufferer. You probably have to talk to the plant,
like Carlos Castenda talking to the jimsonweed (datura). It was certainly
well known in the middle ages in Europe, and must have been effective.

Charles