From:
Belinda Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 08:17:54 -0700
Hey, Kristina.  Sorry you're feeling ill.  Unfortunately, I can
relate.  I had to have my gallbladder out when I was 28.  Of the
things on that list, the butter, while probably healthy, would've
triggered an attack for me back in the day.  Any type of oil really.
Sour cream was a guaranteed night with my head over the toilet.  In my
case, I just had my general doc do an ultrasound.  That showed that
the gallbladder was full of stones, and they scheduled me for surgery
very soon after because in my case, I had a stone in the duct and so I
was becoming jaundiced.   And that's not a good thing.

So my advice to you is to get an ultrasound done as soon as you can.
That will tell you how much time you have to decide whether it has to
come out at all and if so, how soon it needs to happen.   The attacks
are much as you describe in terms of the pain radiating around to the
back.   It just doubled me over.   I threw up a few times, but that
doesn't give any relief, obviously.   I don't know anything about
Nasville doctors, but you're talking about going into the hospital for
surgery possibly, so think about your choice with an eye toward that
perhaps.

The good news is that if it is your gallbladder and if you do have to
have it out, then once it is out, you can eat pretty much anything you
can stand.  But you should be aware that once it's gone, things like
Sour Cream or Mayonnaise or evil things fried in bad grease will send
you running to the bathroom.   Possibly even sprinting to the
bathroom.  Taking a daily fiber supplement can help buffer that effect
to some degree.  File that away for future reference...  At which
point,  it won't make you hurt to eat butter anymore.   Or pemmican or
anything that has good fats.

The modern surgery doesn't even require being cut open.  They put 5
holes in you and disconnect the little bugger "remotely" and pull it
out through a tube.  My surgeon used dissolvable stitches, so I never
actually saw him again after that.  I was still sore, and I knew I'd
had something done, but it wasn't like my mother's gallbladder surgery
where they cut her open from stem to stern just to get at her
gallbladder.  I can't imagine how impossibly painful that must've been
for her.

So, please, do go get an ultrasound as soon as you can.  You'll at
least know what your options are!

Cheers,
-Belinda