From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:01:59 -0400
Tom and Anne Donlon wrote:

>Adam, I hope you didn't think I was calling you anti-religious. I don't know
>you.  I simply said that I've seen more than one anti-religious remark.

You may see more if it keeps coming up ;-) As you can probably see, I
have an informed opinion that can't quite be summed up in one word, but
it's not entirely friendly to mainstream religion.

>My take on Christianity is this: Jesus said the two most important things
>are: love G-d and love your neighbor as yourself. Corinthians 13 has been
>overdone and humdrummed to death at weddings, but it is a good exposition on
>love. I believe that's a pretty darn good way to live, and I try to remember
>it. I fail quite - too - often, but I try.

That's good. If you've got the time you might want to check out some of
the Gnostic Gospels. There are plenty of references online. Jesus is
attributed to having said many interesting and insightful things that
didn't make it into the Reader's Digest version.

>I'm not sure I see why you would consider someone an enemy (or maybe that's
>a stronger word to me than to you?) because you don't agree with the way
>they choose to view spiritual matters. But of course I totally agree that
>you have every right to say about that person, "Let him be anathema!"

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to avoid conflict with those
with whom you disagree. Two pertinent examples come to mind immediately:
the folks who are running my country right now, and people who change
the subject of threads so that I can't so easily ignore them :-<

>Does a bear eat porridge in the woods?  :)

Yes. If you leave some porridge out in the woods, and then go to sleep,
a bear may happen by and smell it... oh wait... that wasn't a serious
question, was it?

Thanks,
Adam