From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 08:04:25 -0400
On Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:19:20 EDT, Gawen Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>.. one fact. VEGETARIANS
>ARE NOT HEALTHIER THAN MEAT EATERS. MEAT EATING CULTURES ARE HEALTHIER AND
>LONGER LIVED THAN VEGETARIAN ONES.

Hm Hm, can you provide and references, where you derive this claim from?
Or tell, which implication this has for your nutrition and the paleo-aspect?
Just statements are lame for me.
I have to admit, with it you are close to your goal ("give it up").

>Gandhi was a vegetarian.  He also slept with little girls and drank urine.
>Hitler was a vegetarian.......
I'll abstain from discussing the sexuality or morality of Hitler
or Ghandi or Attila the Hun. This is far from paleo.

> "Lucy at the fireplace with tubers. With or without early fire". That
>sounds nice, however, it is probably a pile of fecal matter.

However, the acoustic Beatles slogan is from a opponing article, to the
early tubers theory, from the site i've quoted.

> It is unlikely that
>the human societies at that time could have gathered enough of the tubers
>to sustain themselves (without agriculture). Tubers do not taste good raw
>and would not be any substantial part of there diet.

It looks different, Gawen. I would be *much* easier to gather enough
tubers as opposed to hunting in an area of the same size.
40,000 kg tubers are to beat, be square km.
True, many tubers don't taste good raw (about 20 of 40 tubers are edible
raw). This is why the autors of the study have called very early fire usage
onto their plan (2 mio years, instead 3-500k years of the first heard
artefacts found). I'm still sceptical about such early fire usage.

> A little factoid, vegetarian women
>have a higher breast cancer rate.

Same, a reference please.
Otherwise I'd have to assume that the average vegetarian women are
older than meatatarian women, and so even a smaller rate of equal aged
veg.women would betray more veg women. As cancer onset increases with age
anyway.
Same applies to your death rate claim.
I consider this topic off topic to a paleo nutrition list.
So please feel free to email me in private.

However, as I'm interested in nutrition mistakes of
fellow vegetarians, I suppose that many vegetarians have an increased
intake of trans-fats (margarine) and a severe lack of omega-3 fat
with concurrent omega-6 flood (from much safflor sunflower.. oils).
They may cause evil consequences.

>Amadeus, I don't know how long you have been a vegetarian (I was over 16
>years). But after awhile you might start experiencing symptoms (hopefully
>not) that your percentages and numbers won't explain away.

Oh, I'm for 15 years, only 1 more year to go?
15 years is the maximum quoted storage capacity for vitamin b12.
Maybe it will end soon?
I plan to make a test and will let you know.

I'd be interested in the symptoms you were experienting.
I'll be suspiciously watching me.

Cheers

Amadeus