From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:58:47 -0400
Kathy Partridge  asked:

>I wonder if
>someone could explain the difference between phytates ("bad" for us) and
>phytochemicals (aka I think 'phytonutrients'), which are said to be very
>important in resisting cancer. Are they chemically related, opposite sides
>of the same nutritional sword? Or is the fact that they both begin with
>'phy' just a coincidence?

Starting with phy is not a coincidence. Phyto means plants, and they are
related in that both come from plants. Phytates are created when phytic
acid combines with minerals in the body. Phytic acid is in the bran of
seeds and nuts. For more see Staffan Lindeberg's articles:

 http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9706&L=paleodiet&O=T&P=850
 http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9706&L=paleodiet&O=T&P=2282

Don.