From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:53:33 +1000
At 21:19 +1000 25/3/1999, Barbara Sheppard wrote:

>>I've found that the things that taste good are addictive.
>>
>>Sugar and coffee spring to mind. I've rarely had a craving
>>for something nutrient-rich.
>
>Does your diet include much raw food?
>
>Over the last few years, I have been increasing my consumption of raw food.
>I still have a cooked meal in the evening, but almost everything else I
>consume during the day is raw.

I don't eat raw meat, but I eat a lot of fruit and nuts during the day.
I eat salads and raw or lightly steamed vegetables. I find vegetables that
taste revolting raw (to me) are the ones that aren't paleo (green beans,
broccoli, cauliflower, potato, squash), and I avoid them cooked as well.

>At the same time, I have noticed a decrease in cravings and addictions. Of
>course, I can't be sure that there is a causal link, but it feels that way
>to me.

I have also noticed a reduction in my cravings since I changed my diet last
October. I only get cravings for coffee, sugar and processed foods when I
have cheated on the diet (by eating samosas usually... yum!).

Cravings for 'junk food' last about 3 days after a binge.

>I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but I did enjoy an occasional cup
>every now and again. Now I find even the smell of coffee quite repulsive. I

Oh, I'm not over coffee yet. I drink coffee at work sometimes... probably
2 cups a week. I drink it with milk too which is probably worse than the
coffee beans. I should learn to drink it black, or drink tea.

>certainly used to enjoy eating things like chocolate, cakes and biscuits,
>and would binge on them occasionally. Now, I almost always refuse them when
>they are offered, because they just don't seem appealing any more, even
>when other people around me are enjoying them. Occasionally I will try
>something that I know I used to like, just to check, and then wonder why I
>bothered.

I noticed that too. I sometimes try desserts when I go out for dinner, and
hardly ever enjoy them. I certainly don't enjoy the indigestion and
bloating I get a few hours later!

 ...Richard.