From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:58:19 -0500
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, caroline radway wrote:

> What does all this mean???  We should be eating peanuts and popcorn???   I'm
> a little confused about the implications of the insulin score - and whats
> the difference to glyceamic index, and what I should be eating!!!

Glycemic index is a measure of how much a given food affects your
blood glucose level.  Insulin index is a measure of how much it
affects your insulin level.  Obviously there's a strong
correlation between the two (about .70), since blood glucose
stimulates insulin release.

For those of us who believe it is important to avoid elevated
insulin levels, the insulin score is more important than the
glucose score, obviously, since the reason why we might be
interested in the glucose score in the first place is its effect
on insulin.

But none of this means that there might not be other reasons to
avoid foods, even those that have a low insulin score.  The paleo
diet aims for insulin control, but that's not all it aims for.

Todd Moody